Download this form to register for the
Northeast Summer School for Women in Unions and Worker Organizations
With Women We All Rise
The 43rd UALE Northeast Regional Summer School for Women in Unions and Worker Organizations is a four-day residential program sponsored by the United Association for Labor Education. The school brings together rank-and-file members, staff, and officers of union and workers’ organizations to strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the U.S. labor movement. UALE advocates education as an essential tool to develop new activists and leaders who will grow and transform the labor movement.
This year’s school will be hosted by the Worker Institute at Cornell University’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR) in Ithaca, NY.
When: July 21 - 25, 2018. Please plan on arriving the afternoon of Saturday, July 21st.
Download the flyer: Flyer 2018
All students attend classes designed to teach and improve leadership skills. In addition, each student chooses two workshops, which meet daily. Summer school instructors are union officers and staff and labor educators from universities and unions. Experts on current union issues are invited as guest speakers and will share their knowledge throughout the week.
We are currently working to finalize the workshops for Summer 2018. Please visit our website for the latest information. Workshops that have been offered in the past and that may be offered again include:
- Basic and Advanced Grievance Handling and Arbitration
- Collective Bargaining
- Economics for the 99%
- Effective Coalition Building
- Labor & Social Justice Actions
- Immigration and Immigrant Rights
- Innovative Organizing Strategies
- Internal & External Organizing
- Mobilizing for Political and Legislative Activity
- Public Speaking
- Social Media
- Working with the Media
Accommodation & Fees
Participants will be lodged in Cornell’s West Campus Becker House. All dorm-style rooms are non-smoking. The registration fees for Single and Double Rooms include tuition, housing, meals, parking, internet access and bus transportation between housing and the ILR School. A limited number of rooms will be available on Friday night.
- $670 Single Room: Air-conditioned private room, with extra-long single bed, arranged along a corridor with shared semi-private bathrooms.
- $550 Double Room*: Air-conditioned shared-bedrooms with extra-long beds, arranged along a corridor with shared semi-private bathrooms.
- $400 Commuter*: Includes tuition, meals, parking and internet access.
- $752 Single Room with extra Friday night*
- $607 Double Room with extra Friday night*
* Limited availability
A limited number of partial and full scholarships are available and will be awarded based on individual needs and the specific requirements of the granting organizations. To apply for the scholarship, please complete the application.
Cancellation Policy and Refunds
Cancellation request must be received in writing. Full refund available until May 18. Written cancellation made between 5/19 and 6/15 will incur a late cancellation fee of $100. Registered participants who fail to cancel in writing prior to 6/15 and/or do not attend will not receive a refund except in extreme circumstances addressed on a case-by-case basis.
o Scholarship deadline - June 29
o Registration deadline - July 15
o Cancellation deadline - June 15
o Registration & Opening Session July 21, 2018
o Full Program July 21-25, 2018